Agrigento was one of the greatest cities of the ancient Mediterranean world corresponding to the ancient Akragas which was founded by colonists from Rhodes and Crete around 580 BC. The Polis Agrigento was characterized by a circuit of walls that dominated the entire coast where the “Valley of the Temples” was built, occupying the south side. It was not the acropolis that was located further north. Since 1997 the entire area was included in the World Heritage List drawn up by UNESCO. Today it is considered a popular tourist destination, as well as being the symbol of the city and one of the main of the island. The Archaeological and Landscape Park of the Valley of the Temples, with its 1300 hectares, is the largest archaeological site in the world. The Valley of the Temples is characterized by the remains of ten temples, three sanctuaries, a large concentration of necropolis; hydraulic works and fortifications; part of a neighborhood built by Roman on a Hellenistic Greek plan; two important meeting places: thelower Agora (not far from the remains of the Temple of Olympian Zeus) and the upper Agora (located within the museum complex). Of the ten temples, the best known and best preserved is the so-called Temple of Concordia, considered the most imposing Doric temple after the Parthenon in Athens, placed on a stylobate of four levels that is surrounded by 34 columns.